- 1 How do you quote multiple characters in a play?
- 2 How do you quote a character in a play?
- 3 How do you quote multiple lines in Shakespeare?
- 4 How do you quote multiple characters in MLA?
- 5 How do you quote someone with a name example?
- 6 How do you write a conversation between two characters?
- 7 How do you insert a block quote?
- 8 How do you quote longer than 4 lines?
- 9 Which is the correct way to cite a website?
- 10 How do you embed a Shakespeare quote?
- 11 How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
- 12 How do you cite Shakespeare Macbeth?
- 13 How do you quote multiple paragraphs?
- 14 How do you properly quote someone?
- 15 How do you quote dialogue from a movie in an essay?
How do you quote multiple characters in a play?
“If you quote dialogue between two or more characters in a play, set the quotation off from your text. Begin each part of the dialogue with the appropriate character’s name indented one inch (ten spaces) from the left margin and written in all capital letters (e.g.: HAMLET).
How do you quote a character in a play?
When quoting dialogue from a play, begin each part with the appropriate character’s name indented 1-inch from the left margin and written in all capital letters followed by a period. Then, start the quotation and indent all subsequent lines an additional ¼ inch.
How do you quote multiple lines in Shakespeare?
Follow the name with a period, and start the quotation. Indent all subsequent lines in the character’s speech an additional quarter inch. When the dialogue shifts to another character, start a new line indented one inch from the left margin. Maintain this pattern throughout the entire quotation.
How do you quote multiple characters in MLA?
4. Quoting a portion of dialogue: If you quote something a character says, use double quotation marks on the outside ends of the quotation to indicate that you are quoting a portion of the text. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotation marks to indicate that someone is speaking.
How do you quote someone with a name example?
Leave a blank line before and after the quote and indent the whole quote from the left margin. Do not add quotation marks. Introduce the quote using your own words followed by: a colon – if you have written a complete sentence – or a comma if you use a phrase such as ‘according to’ along with the authors name.
How do you write a conversation between two characters?
9 Tips for Writing Dialogue Between More Than Two Characters
- Format your dialogue for clarity.
- Use dialogue tags sparingly.
- Stage your characters.
- Write dialogue with action.
- Create a unique voice for every character.
- Keep it real.
- Read dialogue out loud.
- Avoid introducing new characters during a conversation.
How do you insert a block quote?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
How do you quote longer than 4 lines?
For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented 1/2 inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing.
Which is the correct way to cite a website?
Cite web postings as you would a standard web entry. Provide the author of the work, the title of the posting in quotation marks, the web site name in italics, the publisher, and the posting date. Follow with the date of access. Include screen names as author names when author name is not known.
How do you embed a Shakespeare quote?
How to Quote Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of plays. Richard III or Othello.
- Place a parenthetical reference after each quotation containing its act, scene, and line numbers separated by periods.
- Use arabic numerals for all reference numbers.
- Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks.
How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
Write ” Shakespeare,” the last name of the author, followed by the title of the play, “Romeo and Juliet.” Italicize “Romeo and Juliet” because it is the title of a longer work.
How do you cite Shakespeare Macbeth?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do you quote multiple paragraphs?
Quotation Marks Covering Multi-Paragraph Quotation When a quotation has multiple paragraphs, use a quotation mark at the start of each paragraph (to remind readers that they’re still reading a quotation) but not at the end of the paragraphs except the last one.
How do you properly quote someone?
Use quotation marks only when quoting someone’s exact words, either spoken or written. This is called a direct quotation. “I prefer my cherries chocolate covered,” joked Alyssa. Jackie kept repeating, “Good dog, good dog!”
How do you quote dialogue from a movie in an essay?
You should place the quotation marks at both ends on your dialogue that you are referring to. It is the quotation marks that differentiate the quote from other sentences in your essay. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotes. This applies in the case of dialogue inside a quote.