- 1 How do you cite a play in text MLA?
- 2 How do you cite a Shakespeare play in MLA?
- 3 How do you quote a play in text?
- 4 How do you write a play in MLA format?
- 5 How do I cite a website in MLA?
- 6 How do you cite Romeo and Juliet in MLA works cited?
- 7 How do you cite Macbeth in MLA works cited?
- 8 How do you cite Othello in MLA format?
- 9 How do you cite a play?
- 10 How do you cite a quote from a person?
- 11 How do you quote a dialogue?
- 12 What does MLA format heading look like?
- 13 What is MLA format for an essay?
- 14 How do you do a work cited page?
How do you cite a play in text MLA?
When citing prose plays, use the page number first, followed by a semicolon and then other identifying information (e.g. Miller 9; Act 1). When citing verse plays with line numbers provided, use those instead of page numbers, separating division numbers with a period (see example above).
How do you cite a Shakespeare play in MLA?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you quote a play in text?
When you must quote dialogue from a play, adhere to these rules:
- Set the quotation off from your text.
- Begin each part of the dialogue with the appropriate character’s name. Indent each name half an inch from the left margin and write it in all capital letters.
- Maintain this pattern throughout the quotation (80).
How do you write a play in MLA format?
- “Play Title” (in quotes)
- Book Title (italicized)
- Page number (p.) or page numbers (pp.)
- From database: Database (italicized), permanent link.
- From web site: Web site title (italicized) and either: DOI. Web site URL (no http) and date accessed.
How do I cite a website in MLA?
Author’s Last name, First name. “Title of the Article or Individual Page.” Title of the Website, Name of the Publisher, date of publication in day month year format, URL. McNary, Dave.
How do you cite Romeo and Juliet in MLA works cited?
Structure: Play author. “Play Title.” Title of book, author(s) or editor(s), publisher, year of publication, page number(s). Example: Shakespeare, William. Romeo and Juliet.
How do you cite Macbeth in MLA works cited?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do you cite Othello in MLA format?
In-text citation: The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice. Ed. Tucker Brooke and Lawrence Mason. New Haven: Yale UP, 1947.
How do you cite a play?
Author last name, First name. Play Title. Collection/Anthology Title, edited by Editor first name Last name, Publisher, Year, Page range.
How do you cite a quote from a person?
When citing a direct quote by someone who is not the author of the source, you should introduce the person in your writing, use double quotation marks for the quote, rather than the usual single quotation marks for direct quotes by the author of the source, and add the page number within the bracketed citation, or, for
How do you quote a dialogue?
4. Quoting a portion of dialogue: If you quote something a character says, use double quotation marks on the outside ends of the quotation to indicate that you are quoting a portion of the text. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotation marks to indicate that someone is speaking.
What does MLA format heading look like?
The correct MLA heading is found on the first page of your paper. It includes your name, instructor, course, and date. MLA format also has a running header with the page number and your last name. It is right-aligned and found on each page.
What is MLA format for an essay?
The main guidelines for formatting a paper in MLA style are as follows:
- Use an easily readable font like 12 pt Times New Roman.
- Set 1 inch page margins.
- Apply double line spacing.
- Include a four-line MLA heading on the first page.
- Center the paper’s title.
- Indent every new paragraph ½ inch.
How do you do a work cited page?
- Begin your Works Cited page on a separate page at the end of your research paper.
- Label the page Works Cited (do not italicize the words Works Cited or put them in quotation marks) and center the words Works Cited at the top of the page.
- Double space all citations, but do not skip spaces between entries.